Just one verse to munch on today:
John 16:33I want to spend more time in the word today then writing a blog post about the word, so here are a few quick thoughts on this verse to think over.“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- God never promises we won't face hardship. In fact this is almost a promise that we will face trouble, and 2 Timothy 3:12 informs us that we certainty will be persecuted if we live for Christ. There is no support for the Prosperity Gospel in the true gospel or the bible.
- We should read God's word. He has given us his word so we can have peace, so read it.
- We need to Trust God. He offers us peace through his words. We get that peace by trusting that he is faithful and keeps his promises.
- Take Heart! We have reason to be joyful. I don't know if "take heart" can be translated as be joyful, but it most certainly is linked. We don't have to go around gloomy and depressed if we are Christians, because our Lord and Saviour has forgiven us eternally, and it is based entirely on what he has done, not on our effort, so we don't have to fear losing it! Be Joyful! Take Heart!
- He has overcome the world. It is based entirely on Christ's effort and sacrifice, not ours. He has overcome. He did not sin and he has saved us. He has defeated Satan. It's all Him, it's all about Him, and we need to live for Him!
I hope that was helpful to consider today.