NORTH KOREA: China Attempts to Block Radio Broadcast into North Korea
Chinese authorities are targeting a Christian radio broadcast produced by North Korean Christians in partnership with Seoul USA and Voice of the Martyrs. Both the Chinese and North Korean governments have unsuccessfully attempted to block the radio broadcast.
This is exciting news for Christians involved in the shortwave radio program because it demonstrates that North Korean and Chinese officials are threatened by the small broadcasting program. When asked why this particular broadcast is such a threat, an analyst noted that it is a purely Christian program voiced by North Koreans.
Most Christian broadcasts into North Korea are voiced by South Koreans, whose accent is more difficult for North Koreans to understand. Authorities assume that North Koreans can't understand these broadcasts or are turned off by the voices of 'foreigners.'
Source: Voice of the Martyrs USA
- Praise the Lord, for His word never returns to Him void but accomplishes His desire and achieves the purpose for which it was sent (Isaiah 55:11).
- Pray for the programmers and engineers who create the broadcasts.
- Pray all those who hear, may many be granted His gift of grace.
23 Oct 2013
NIGERIA: Sharia Law to be Enforced in Kano State
Kano is one of nine states in northern Nigeria that has introduced Shariah law. Southern Nigeria is mostly Christian and is ruled by secular law. Islamic police in northern Nigeria's Kano state will begin enforcing Sharia law.
Ten thousand officers will be on the streets making sure all citizens, including Christians, adhere to the strict Islamic legal code. Law enforcement has orders to arrest anyone wearing "indecent dress" such as sleeveless T-shirts and pants that cut off just below the knee.
They'll also be watching the city's small, motorised rickshaw taxis for men and women travelling together.
Kano is one of nine states in northern Nigeria that has introduced Shariah law. Southern Nigeria is mostly Christian and is ruled by secular law.
Sources: Christian Broadcasting Network, International Christian Concern
- Pray the Lord will give Christians the wisdom and the patience needed at this time.
- Ask Him to protect His people in Kano state.
- Pray the Lord will pour out His Spirit on Northern Nigeria to bring revival.
23 Oct 2013
EGYPT: Three killed in Attack at Christian Wedding
On Sunday night two unidentified gunmen riding motorcycles opened fire on guests exiting the Virgin Church, located in Warrag, Giza. The gunmen fired automatic weapons as the guests exited the church after attending a wedding ceremony.
According to Reverend Justus, the pastor of the church, one man, one women and one 8 year old girl were killed, and 18 were injured.Reverend Justus said the gunmen were masked and were able to flee despite traffic congestion.
The Director of Giza Security formed a task force to find the gunmen. The Corniche Road leading to the area was evacuated. The attack is yet to be classified as "criminal" or "terrorist."
Coptic Christians make up 10 percent of Egypt's 85 million people, and have generally coexisted peacefully with majority Sunni Muslims for centuries, despite bouts of sectarian tension. But the army's overthrow of elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi on 3 July has been followed by the worst attacks on churches and Christian properties in years.
Sources: Assyrian News Agency, Reuters
- Ask the Lord to heal the injured and comfort those who have lost loved ones.
- Pray He will help the bride and groom along with all their friends and relatives to overcome their shock and grief.
- Pray the ongoing violence and unrest will be used by God to strengthen His people, bring about church unity and bring more people into His Kingdom.